Chopped Liver – Trigger Cut

Today is the day after the day before. Regular readers will know that the day before was a bit on the negative side and with lots to discuss at the following day’s clinic appointment.

Well, today is the following day and as I trudged ever so slowly and painfully to the tube station to ride the 4 stops needed to get me to the hospital firstly for my blood tests and subsequently for my clinic appointment.

Things to discuss:- The date for my ERCP to finally remove THAT attachment; the constant pain from my wound; the dosage of my current medication and, finally, the state of my new liver and the arteries transporting the blood to it.

The results. The ERCP has apparently been booked for 2 weeks time.

The doc managed to arrange an impromptu Ultrasound examination for me this very day. So I went down to the department, waited five minutes and was seen by consultants who managed to weave their way around my wound dressing and deduce that all the arteries had blood flowing nicely through them and everything looked exactly as a healthy liver should – and on top of that good news, there was nothing apparent to cause the pain I have been experiencing.

By the way, as you may have picked up from my Tweets, I was very proud of myself for resisting the temptation to ask the Ultrasound consultant if it was a boy or a girl. It was a close call, but I made it.

I did bump into Smiler, my pre-transplant consultant who I rarely see these days. He asked me how things were going. I took the opportunity not to talk about the pros and cons of Blackberrys or i-Phones, but to tell him that I felt great – except for this constant pain in my wound. “Ah yes, you can expect that for the first year or so”. So, there you have it. I have to just grin and bear it for the next few days, weeks or months and stop being, as I suggested some time ago, a wimp.

So all in all – a very successful day.

Till I got home.

I got a call from the Haemophilia Centre. They just received my blood results and they have called me in an emergency, informing me that my INR level has shot up to 6.0. To put this in perspective, last week it was at 1.6. A few weeks ago it had reached 4.9 prompting the cancellation of my first attempt at having an ERCP due to my blood being dangerously thin.

When it is 6.0, the bottom line is simply this – I must NOT cut myself. If I cut myself I must go straight to casualty.

I must stop taking Warfarin for the next couple of days and return to the hospital on Thursday for another blood test.

To say the least, this has put the willies up me (whatever that means – I think it means that this is all a tad on the scary side).

I better make sure I don’t pick my nose!

Explore posts in the same categories: Liver Transplant

Tags: , , , ,

You can comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.

2 Comments on “Chopped Liver – Trigger Cut”

  1. Pinja Says:


    Been following your tweets as I’m always keen on reading/hearing how other liver TX survivors are doing, and I just had to come here and tell you that the hastily arranged ultrasound tweet gave me a good laugh! I’m 9 months post liver tx and splenectomy myself, and yes I’ve had the spontaneous ultrasound too… A normal check-up turned into ultrasound and biopsy as my transplant team thought I was rejecting (I wasn’t!!), and the person doing the ultrasound clearly hadn’t had any time to look into my case at all. The look on his face was priceless when he kept trying to find my spleen after first checking my liver… and finally the confused comment “Where the **** is your spleen??” I was nervous about the biopsy so this helped calm my nerves a bit (a lot more than the valium they gave me) 😀

    As for the pain in your wound… I had that for a few months after my surgery but happy to tell you it’s gone now. I guess for most of us the nerve damage caused by the operation is not permanent. So I’m sure you’ll see some improvement soon, too 😉 How long has it been for you?

    Blood test days and waiting for the results are always nervewrecking! Then again, everything about this is a bit nervewrecking if you ask me 😀 I even asked my doctor the other day if I have lymphoma on the back of my foot! He laughed, the bastard. But no apparently it’s not lymphoma. I should wear better shoes 🙂

    Hang in there, hope the INR level goes down and the pain in the wound will ease soon enough! Oh and congrats on the new liver 🙂 Thanks for writing this blog, I do think everyone sharing their thoughts, feelings and experiences about transplant living are truly inspiring 🙂

    Pinja, second birthday July 15th 2010

    • davidkallin Says:

      Hi Pinja. Thanks for reading and thanks for commenting – always encouraging to know there are new (to me) people out there enjoying my musings. Congratulations to you on your new liver – sounds like you’re doing really well – as i am too, I’m sure my wound pain will subside soon. I was transplanted 11 weeks ago – Feb 9th – so if you fancy going back to around that time in my blog you can catch up on my stories immediately post-op. I hope the lymphoma on your heel gets better – you need to stop it from spreading – as you know the heelbone is connected to the… anklebone… the anklebone is connected to the shinbone… the shinbone is conn..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: